Sharing the Luck

While out in the yard I spotted this and had to save it.  We always need some luck!  Now I wish I’d found a four leaf clover when we were in Ireland.  I have several shamrock though that I’m glad I pressed!

Raised Garden Bed #3

Raised Garden Bed #3 by PamB
Raised Garden Bed #3, a photo by PamB on Flickr.

If you remember back a few months ago we had to move one of our gardens. At the time we didn’t know it was directly over our septic tank until we started having plumbing problems. The crazy part is we thought the septic tank was farther out into the yard.

Well we’ve had enough warm days so we decided to set everything back up, but in a different place and away from the septic tank and field lines. I tried to help as much as I could but my back just wasn’t up to the task. Hubby finished moving the dirt and even attached the trellis to the end. I’m going to add a second and used these for my cucumber vines.

In other news I can finally wear my glasses almost 75% of the time. Outdoors in bright sun light is almost impossible and I haven’t driven with them either. They’ve really helped with reading and especially when reading labels. Why do manufactures make the print on the labels so small? Oh…maybe to hide all the ingredients not found in nature?

More later…time to baby my back.

Rainy Day in ‘Bama

If we ever have another drought all we need is for the government to make everyday a holiday…guaranteed to rain!

At least now all my rain barrels are filling back up.  They had to be drained and moved when we had the house painted.  All of the rain barrels ended up needing a good rinse too since so much gunk had settled in the bottom.
Since they are back in place I’ve been thinking of a way to cover them.  When I first made them I painted them so they wouldn’t stand out (they were blue).   This time I want to wrap them in something, something interesting and unusual but I’m not sure what as of yet… stay tuned!

Read more about the rain barrels here – Rain Barrels

It’s Been Awhile – Catch-up!

There have been a lot of things going on lately that have taken me away from the keyboard.  Ok, the keyboard at home that is since I sit behind one all day at work too.

We started having plumbing problems a couple weeks ago when I notice that there was some water in the basement.  It missed our camping supplies and the freezer but we couldn’t figure out where it was coming from.  So I back tracked to figure out just what I did that day.  Let’s see, washed clothes, washed dishes, and both of us took showers all around about the same time that morning.  The experiment:  do it again and see if if happens.  Yep!  Must be a clogged line from the house to the septic tank.  It sure is a good thing that we left the ceiling exposed in the storage room in the basement or we would have had septic water in the drywall!  Yuck!  Two plumbers later and nope the lines are not stopped up but the septic tank is full.  Arrg!  We really didn’t have a clue where the septic tank lived in the back yard.  No tell tell signs of green grass during long dry spells.

Well…turns out one of my raised garden beds sits right on top of it and the other is on top of the field lines!  Wow!  Now we know why the cucumbers and tomato did so well this year!!!  Now here’s the kicker.  In order to empty the septic tank we need to move the gardens or they will have to use equipment to do it and it won’t be pretty.  Fast forward to two shovels, pick, tarp, trailer and two teens who love pizza!  Since It’s only me and the hubby at home and my back can’t handle the digging (2 back surgeries) hiring some teens worked out great!

Temporary location of one of the raised beds that had to be moved.

I’m not sure where we will end up moving them but we may wait until fall and everything dries out a little more.  It was sad pulling up all my green beans, but I did get one good mess out of them in the process.

About a third of the way done. Nothing like moving heavy wet red clay!

I didn’t mention that I had to remove my very large gardenia bush that was blooming year round.  Guess we know why now!

In A Pickle With Okra

image

I tried something a little different. Over the past few weeks I put up some pickles but this time I’m trying to make some pickled okra. I wasn’t sure of the recipe so I found one in an old cookbook. The recipe called for garlic, salt, dill weed, sugar and vinegar. I only had enough okra to do two jars so one is hot, I added pepper flakes and in the others just garlic and dill. Talk about smelling the kitchen up! Why didn’t I have enough okra to do more…because I love fried okra!