There have been a lot of things going on lately that have taken me away from the keyboard. Ok, the keyboard at home that is since I sit behind one all day at work too.
We started having plumbing problems a couple weeks ago when I notice that there was some water in the basement. It missed our camping supplies and the freezer but we couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. So I back tracked to figure out just what I did that day. Let’s see, washed clothes, washed dishes, and both of us took showers all around about the same time that morning. The experiment: do it again and see if if happens. Yep! Must be a clogged line from the house to the septic tank. It sure is a good thing that we left the ceiling exposed in the storage room in the basement or we would have had septic water in the drywall! Yuck! Two plumbers later and nope the lines are not stopped up but the septic tank is full. Arrg! We really didn’t have a clue where the septic tank lived in the back yard. No tell tell signs of green grass during long dry spells.
Well…turns out one of my raised garden beds sits right on top of it and the other is on top of the field lines! Wow! Now we know why the cucumbers and tomato did so well this year!!! Now here’s the kicker. In order to empty the septic tank we need to move the gardens or they will have to use equipment to do it and it won’t be pretty. Fast forward to two shovels, pick, tarp, trailer and two teens who love pizza! Since It’s only me and the hubby at home and my back can’t handle the digging (2 back surgeries) hiring some teens worked out great!
I’m not sure where we will end up moving them but we may wait until fall and everything dries out a little more. It was sad pulling up all my green beans, but I did get one good mess out of them in the process.
I didn’t mention that I had to remove my very large gardenia bush that was blooming year round. Guess we know why now!